Sunday, August 12, 2007

Birth Stories

I had mentioned in one of comments about Hannah being born in the water and we thought it would be neat to share birth stories... So, if you would like to, please, share your birth stories. We attribute a lot of the calmness Hannah has, and has had since day one, to the environment in which she was born.
Hannah was born at the Birth Center near us and it was a very loving and homey environment. We had the place to ourselves (no other mom's having babies that day) and the full attention of our midwife, nurse and doula. It was fabulous!!!
They were to have gotten the birthing tub installed by then and it was delayed. What a bummer I thought. Well, as the day and labor went on, they decided to put me in the reg. tub to relax and refresh... Once in there, there were NOT getting me out!!! It was tremendous, the pain was diminished and I was able to sleep in between contractions (very welcomed rest considering I had 27 hours of unmediated labor...;) ).
Hannah made her entrance into this world surrounded by love... warmth... no loud noises... candle light only and Mom's hands only. The midwife guided her head out, but aloud me to bring her to my chest. It was the most awesome and empowering experience ever!!
That is our birth experience (condensed version) and we would love to share yours.

5 comments:

Charity Grace said...

Wow, I had no idea! What a beautiful birth! Unfortunately a birth center has never been an option for us, but I've had great hospital experiences with minimal intervention. I'll write about that soon...

Bobbie said...

With Debi I was completely knocked out as she was born breach. I was not allowed to see her for several days afterwards. Until I was physically able to go and get her from the nursery. I don't know why to this day. It was not a good thing. Times have changed for the better as your experience testifies. It sounds like the most wonderful way for a child to start it's life journey!

Debi said...

Windy I'm so happy you had such a profound experience with Hannah's birth. A very lovely story and if Hannah is like my girls, she loves to hear about it.

Here's the short versions of my two birth experiences (well, not counting my own), certainly nothing as mellow as yours, but lovely to me:

Antigone: I was still a 70s chick when I had her and wanted absolutely no pain meds. I had her naturally and I'll never forget when they first laid her on my chest while they were cutting the umbilical cord -- she looked right up at me, and was quiet as an angel. Love at first sight.

Audrey: We had to have an emergency C section. It had been a difficult pregnancy and a life-threatening birth for us both. But the good thing about my being so weak from her birth was that her dad attached his heart strings to her right away. Love at first sight again.

And both my girls were born with lots of dark, long hair. (Antigone's turned light.) It was fun to put little do-dads in their pretty hair right away.

Debi said...

By the way, I was born butt-first breach. I wonder what that says about me?

Sorry about that, Mom.

Leah said...

Love your story, Windy!!!

Both of our boys were born at home. My labor with Ethan was 2 hours and the midwife didn't make it...her assistant got there just as he was crowning, but Stephen did the delivery. It was a very intense labor, and a little scary since I had no idea what I was doing, but wonderful all the same!

With Philip, we used a midwife for prenatal care but planned an unassisted birth since we live far from town and I had already had one fast labor. He was born into his Daddy's hands after an hour and 45 min. of labor, while his big brother watched a Winnie the Pooh movie in the next room.:) It was one of the most wonderful, empowering experiences of my life!