Thursday, November 8, 2007

Moms Potatoes... What is your favorite Thanksgiving Recipe?

The one dish that is my favorite to share at Thanksgiving... and the favorite of those I share it with. :)
My Mom's Potatoes
(I am doing this from memory and well, if I miss a step please forgive me.)
10 to 12 med. potatoes, baked until almost done, let cool over night and peel
1 can of cream of chick soup
1 pint of sour cream
1 stick of butter melted
shredded ched chs 8 to 16 oz
salt and pepper
shredded onion (ooppss, almost forgot the onion)
Shred potatoes (after deskinning), onion, and chs. Mix shredded ingrediants with soup, sour cream and melted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle lightly with shredded cheese. Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour (or until golden brown) at 350.
I hope I remembered it all. I usually have to double if not triple this recipe. You can't go wrong with this recipe and it is so scrumptious!
We send some home with guests and I have even frozen some for later.
Now, I hope you will share a recipe with all of us... Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Arizona Mama said...

YUM! I have got to try these.

Debi said...

Thanksgiving? Hard to believe it is almost that time already.

Wow, this sounds almost identical to one of my family favorite recipes. We add a can a chopped green chilies and half a jar of real bacon bits into the mix. Also, if you are lazy (in our recipe) you can use frozen hash brown potatoes. And instead of Cream of Chicken, you can use Cream of Potato. LOL, truly in spite of those changes, this is basically the same recipe.

I might give yours a try sometime! Well, gotta add green chilies in, though.

Hannah's Mom said...

Hi! Debi, you are right... it is almost the same recipe. I think they were probably from the same magazine in the 60's. My x-mother-in-law use to make them with the green chilis. I think my mom's recipe was one she used for the holidays. I have never tried them with the frozen potatoes but have had friends that have. I have to say, there is nothing like the real deal. :) This is the reason, besides the fat, that I only make them once a year. lol
YUMMY! I can hardly wait!! :)

Antigone said...

Wow sound yummy and decadent! After eating all those high calories, my favorite low calorie dish is:
CRANBERRY SALAD
2 – 3 oz pkg. Raspberry sugar free Jell-O
2 c. hot water
2 c. cranberries (measure whole), chopped
1 c. crushed pineapple
2 small apples, chopped
2 small oranges, chopped
10 pkg. Sweet & Low
¼ to ½ t. lemon extract
1/8 t. almond extract (optional)
Dissolve Jell-O in hot water. Refrigerate till slightly thickened. Add fruit, sweetener and extracts. Chill until set.
Serves 8
1 cup = 1 POINT
Our WW leader gave this to me a few years back and I love it. I make it all the time for desert and to use on the side of rotisserie chicken. Delish!
I have had a hard time finding the cranberries when it is not Thanksgiving time but have found that they freeze great so I stock up this time of year. Enjoy.